Wednesday, April 25, 2012

love this....

From time to time I find something that just strikes a chord in my heart and soul and this little piece written by Paul Harvey is just great!  Wanted to share with all....  It is from a wonderful little blog Hollies Quotes


Radio Personality, Paul Harvey writes.....


- We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse.  For my grandchildren, I'd like better.  I'd really like for them to know about hand-me-down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meatloaf sandwiches.  I really would. 


- I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.  I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. 


-  And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.


-  It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your dog put to sleep.  I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in. 


-  I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother.  And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he is scared, I hope you let him.


-  When you want to see a movie and your little brother wants to tag along, I hope you let him.  I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely. 


-  On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as un-cool as your Mom. 


-  If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.  I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.  When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head. 


-  I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like. 


-  May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.  I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.  And if a friend offers you dope, I hope you realize he is not your friend. 


-  I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.  May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.  I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through a neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand. 


-  These things I wish for you - tough times and hard work, disappointment and happiness.  To me, it's the only way to appreciate life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment